Monday, October 6, 2008

Sunday in Peru

Greetings Here is part of an email sent to my Dad. I thought perhaps others would find it interesting as well.
I hope you have a wonderful day in the LORD.
It was a good day kinda long and different. The sermon was on "Is there Hope in Life" I think was the title. 1. Life is hopeless separated from God. 2. Life is hopeful with God.
Something like that. Talking about Cain's lineage and it doesn't mentioned them calling upon the name of the LORD. Some of Lamech's sons would have so called prestige in the eyes of
the world being the fathers of various things. Then we looked at Adam and Eve, seeing even remembered to give praise to God then after Seth had Enosh it said people called on the name of the LORD.
Which then later tied into Acts 4:12, John 10:31-33 I think, Acts 16:31
The two men I saw in Morales came though the older one wound up sleeping most of the time I think. The other responded during the sermon. I don't know if either are believers. Possibly though. Then we took some people to a restaurant before going to Papito Ricardo's for lunch. Then I went shopping got two shirts I needed to get change, perhaps other ways would have been better but I needed shirts wound up being around 34 soles which is around $12 US. A lot of money for peruvians but not for americans hmms. Then went and picked a couple of those people up from the restaurant, well after coming by the house and changing. Took them back and then took one of Alfredo & Anitta's son to play soccer with me. Went and did that which was fun. One of them invited me to church in the evening Pepe he is somewhat mischievous. However went and he didn't show up until close to the end of the service. But I went asking God to learn about more of the need here. I met the director of the Evangelical Mission for the San Martin, and Loretto area. So got to ask him some questions and he is possibly coming by tonight. Which he speaks spanish and I don't speak it very well so we'll see what happens. Please pray for direction.
After the service met some people, I enjoyed singing there they had some songs I knew but they where in spanish but the tunes where familiar. The sermon was on Acts 10 with Cornelius but I don't know what he talked about other than when he went to different verses. I'm not sure they preach through the Bible verse by verse and book by book or if it is more in this chapter one Sunday and in a different on the next. It is hard to get to know the pastors as far as the language barrier. Pastor Werrin wanted his daughter or someone he knew to practice english with me, I wound up talking with Pepe she wanted to talk with the young guys. So a different evening.
Then I went with Pepe to Ice Cream got to know him a bit better, including that his sister has cancer in the blood Leukemia I think is what he said. That his dad doesn't live there with them. He plays in a bad and will be turning 21 Oct 18. Seems he is directionless right now, not sure if he is a believer but possibly. Perhaps he is trying to forget about things. I feel sad about his sister. But he also said she believes in God, and I think he said she has a lot of trust in God.
After that we went to his house for a bit where he showed me his electric guitar he had made. Shows again the poorness. I was glad he showed me though he enjoys playing. Then his sister and mom came out and talked for awhile. His mom gave me some platino (like bananas) for frying, (and other forms of cooking) and I didn't know how. So she took a little time cut one up and showed me how to fry them.
So I'll probably try that today.
I think it was around 12 by the time I got to bed.
A good day praise God. Please continue to pray for direction in understanding the need here. If God wants me to return and in what form. It seems in shepherding it has really helped me to grow, because it helps me to have a caring heart about other people which I really love that God is creating that more and more in me. Evangelism is good but seems perhaps God is directing more toward shepherding in the sense of longer term relationships.
Thank you so much for praying,
Jonathan

No comments: